Skip to content

FAQs on Finances and Flights

FAQs on Finances and Flights

Q: Who do I contact regarding Off-Campus Study financial policy questions?
A: Please contact

Q: How do I pay for off-campus study?
A: Denison has a home-school tuition system for students participating in approved semester- and year-long off-campus programs (both international and domestic). Students pay Denison tuition, housing & meals, plus an OCS Administrative Fee, and are awarded regular Denison merit and need-based aid, except for work-study. Denison pays all program fees and charges directly to the program with a few exceptions, such as program application fees and program deposits.

This system is used to facilitate the packaging of applicable financial aid, to make billing clearer, and to make budgeting easier for students and their families. This system also strives to make off-campus academic programs as financially accessible as possible to the widest range of students.

In exchange for paying Denison tuition, room and meal plan, and the OCS Administrative fee, students will:

  • Retain course registration priority, as established for their class year
  • Retain housing priority status for housing selection
  • Receive faculty pre-approval for proposed coursework
  • Have access to their academic advisor, class dean, Academic Resource Center (ARC), and the services offered by the Center for Global Programs, Knowlton Center, and Lisska Center
  • Receive credit and grades for off-campus coursework, which will be posted to student’s official Denison transcript by the Office of the Registrar.

Please note that these policies do not apply to summer or January term off-campus programs. Summer and J-term students will need to pay their program provider directly for their billed costs.

Q: What is the OCS Administrative Fee?
A: The OCS Administrative Fee- currently $1,060 for a semester or $320 for summer 2024- covers the administrative support associated with off-campus study as provided by various campus offices, as well as supplemental emergency insurance coverage. The administrative support makes it possible for students to take all of their need- and merit-based financial aid with them.

Q: Does Denison pay for my program deposit?
A:​​ No, that is your responsibility.

Q: Are my passport and/or visa fees covered by Denison?
A: The Center for Global Programs does have funding for eligible students to help cover passport and visa costs (including visa-related travel) up to $500. If you would like to request assistance, please complete this form and our office will follow up with you. Please note that you must be approved by Denison for off-campus study prior to completing this form. 

Q: What other expenses am I responsible for while off campus for a semester?
A: Please see our financial policy for full details. Examples of expenses not covered by Denison include, but are not limited to, personal expenses, local travel, optional course fees, supplies and books, immunizations, passports, visa and visa-related travel.

Q: What insurance will I have while I am abroad?
A: A: If your program includes insurance, it is part of the standard program fees which Denison pays; if your program does not include insurance, you are responsible for finding coverage while abroad. Even in cases where insurance is included, you must verify with your provider exactly what that insurance covers and what it does not cover (e.g., some insurances exclude pre-existing conditions, dental care, vision care). All students have EIIA insurance through Denison, which covers major emergency events (see the information in your Global Tools application for more details), but not routine medical care while abroad. 

Denison's student insurance plan through Wellfleet is an annual plan, so you must either opt in or opt out for the whole year. You can only opt out if you have other coverage while on campus at Denison. More information regarding this plan can be found here.

If you find that the coverage you have is not sufficient to fulfill your needs, you should purchase your own travel insurance. In the past students have used options such as GeoBlue or CISI to meet their coverage needs. You should shop around and consult with your family to find the best option for your health and travel needs.
Once your insurance is set, it is also important to understand whether the insurance you have requires you to pay upfront and be reimbursed afterwards, or whether your costs will be billed directly to your insurance company. This is an important piece to consider as part of your budgeting and planning for your time away.

Q: My program doesn’t have a meal plan. Why was I charged for Denison’s Housing and Meals Fee?
A: Denison is trying to keep charges consistent from semester to semester and across students. For programs where meals are not included, we use the specific program's guidance for the meal allowance and disburse this amount directly to students. Students are responsible for managing this meal budget over the course of the semester. 

Q: Is the meal allowance a one time payment?
A: The meal allowance is estimated by your program and is a one time payment sent via direct deposit prior to your program start date. 

Q:  How should students access money while abroad?
A: It’s important that students develop a plan before departing for their program by consulting with their OCS provider and their bank. Most students bring a debit card linked to their home bank account to withdraw cash and a credit card in case of emergencies. Contact your bank and program advisor for specific questions about your host country. Check your Pre-departure orientation materials for more tips about Money While Traveling Abroad.

Q: I have a foreign bank account. How do I receive direct deposit since it is not a US bank account?
A: We require all OCS students to open a US bank account in order to receive allowances via direct deposit. As part of our application process you will be asked to establish a direct deposit bank account with Denison. You will receive information about this in your Global Tools application once you have been approved by Denison for off-campus study.

Q: Can I arrive earlier than my program start date or leave later than my program end date? Can I come late or leave early?
A: You are required to arrive by the designated move-in/orientation date and stay until all examinations and any other program requirements are completed. Otherwise, you can plan to arrive before the program or leave after if that is permitted by your program and by your visa requirements (check this carefully – you usually cannot enter the host country before the official start date on your visa or may be limited to stay only 90 days). If you are eligible to receive a flight allowance from Denison, please note that the amount deposited is based on flying around the dates of your program, so arriving earlier or staying later may be more expensive and anything not covered by the flight allowance is the student's responsibility to pay. 

Q: Do I have to fly from Columbus to my host city? 
A: No. You can fly from any city to your host city, but the allowance for students with demonstrated financial need is calculated based on flying from Columbus, Ohio.

Q: Can I come home during Spring Break, vacation periods, etc.?
A: You can, at your provider’s discretion, but it will be at your own expense. Denison does not pay for flights during vacation or break periods. Note that Denison does not pay for travel other than to and from the study abroad site at the beginning and end of the program. You are required to arrive by the designated move-in/orientation date and stay until all examinations and any other program requirements are completed. 

Q: Do I need a valid passport before booking an international flight?
A: Yes, you must have a valid passport with an expiration date of at least six months after your program end date. Be sure to verify that all information on your passport (e.g., name, birthday) is correct. 

Q: Do I need a valid visa before booking a flight?
A: You should check with your program to determine whether you need a visa. If so, you should begin the visa application process as soon as you are eligible. Some Consulates will suggest you do not book a flight before obtaining your visa. Please see our Visa FAQs for more information about visas.

Q: How do I know whether Denison will provide me with a flight allowance?
A: Denison will provide flight allowances for any student with demonstrated financial need. Need is determined by subtracting a student's expected family contribution from our standard cost of attendance. If you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid (740-587-6276).

Q: The flight I want costs more than the allowance. Can I obtain additional funds?
A: Unfortunately, no. The allowance is a reasonable estimate of airfare plus baggage, but for a variety of reasons your specific flight may cost more or less. We cannot adjust the amount of the allowance. 

Q: Will Denison pay for checked bags?
A: For students with financial need, checked baggage is included in the flight allowance. All additional fares and fees are at your own expense.

Q: I booked my flight and need to change it or cancel it. Who pays for these changes/cancellation?
A: You. If you change your mind about your OCS plans, or wish to move the date of your flight after booking for any reason, you are responsible for any penalties, cancellation fees, change fees, or lost fares. 

Q: My program offers a group flight. Can I take that? 
A: Yes, that is a great idea.

Q: My program offers a scholarship, should I apply for it?
A: We recommend students consult with the Office of Financial Aid before applying for scholarships for semester-length programs, as these can impact students’ Denison financial aid package. Generally national scholarships, such as ones we have listed here, have a positive net effect, while program scholarships often offset Denison aid and may not benefit the student directly.